 |
| Outside the orphanage doors |
 |
| Entering the orphanage |
 |
| Our first glimpse of Tsehay |
Friday, May 27th: The day we met Tsehaynesh
Thankfully we got some sleep last night. The dogs were a little quieter and we were SO exhausted. We woke up bright and early though and waited around our hotel room until our van came to pick us up at 11:30. The orphanage that Tsehaynesh was moved to was very, very close to our hotel. We drove down some rocky dirt roads and stopped at a gate. I was shocked to see that we were there already. We got out, both of us shaking as we frantically searched for our video cameras and cameras. We were lead into the "compound" to see close lines hung everywhere with clothes, diapers, etc. We turned to our right and saw three little BABIES on the porch sitting on potties....they sure don't hesitate getting them potty trained! We walk through the doorway and entered into one of two small rooms. Wooden boxes(cribs) lined the room. These were the babies that were awake. They were so adorable and smiley. We walk into the next tiny room of sleeping babies and I was admiring each one, when out of the corner of my eye, I spotted our sweet baby girl. She was laying on her back, completely zonked out-mouth open and everything. I just stood there shaking and Luke I stood over her for what seemed like hours but was only minutes watching her sleep. Fortunately, I had brought her lovie in my carry on and I layed it next to her face. I couldn't believe we were finally seeing her for real! I just wanted to scoop her up and snuggle her! But, we waited and went on a tour of the rest of the "rooms" to see some other children of families from our agency and take pictures.
We went back to her room where we found her nannies had awakened her. Poor baby! So here her first glimpse of us was these white aliens flashing pictures and video camera in hand. The nanny quickly tried handing her over to me saying "This is your new Mama!" She just bawled. I wanted to bawl too. Over the next hour her little heart raced as she would panick if one of her nannies left the room and were out of sight. I would hold her for a few seconds and then hand her back. It was heartbreaking. After an hour and a half of watching her crawl, sit & almost WALK back and forth between us and the nannies, she finally chose Luke's chest to snuggle up too. You could tell she was so scared, but she just knew that was her Daddy. Of course, Luke just about melted and I did too. We took her for a walk outside and she just clung to us. It was hard to say our goodbyes, but relieving to know she is LOVED SO MUCH by her caretakers. I just kept thinking that I was thankful we weren't taking her away right now. I'd much prefer for her to warm up to us over a period of several visits. Ask me that after I'm home, and I'll probably have a different attitude(-:
 |
Luke got to hold her first. She was so scared of us)-: Poor baby.
|
 |
But Mama quickly won her over with her necklace
|
 |
| At least for a few minutes |
 |
| She won over her Daddy right away by snuggling right into his chest. |
We went out for coffee and then dinner. I was still panicking because we had not received our luggage yet, and we were supposed to leave really early in the morning for our trip South to Awassa (her birth town). I couldn't imagine going to such remote areas without any of our gifts/meds! I found myself bowing my head every chance I got and pleading with God to get our luggage their tonight. Afterall, this was stuff for Him and His people, not us. We got a ride to the airport around 9pm and I barely made it through security when I spotted one of our tubs. I bursted out with tears. There sat 9 out of 10 pieces of our luggage. I started jumping up and down. Whew, now I could relax a little.
My next big plight was to figure out how to reach the kids. We had no phone service and spotty internet and had not talked to them since we had left. We finally reached them and it felt so good to see them on Skype and talk to them. Kai wanted to see baby sister over video, so I had to try to explain that one(-: We got in bed around 1am after sorting through all of our luggage and packing for the trip South. It is going to be another big day tomorrow. A 5hr drive to Awassa, Ethiopia to meet her birthfather. I'm excited and nervous all at the same time. I have no idea what to expect. Praying that God will get all of us(Us and her birthfather) through this difficult meeting and that we ask all the questions she would ever want to know. My heart has never been so full as it was tonight.
 |
| Precious Girl |
She is almost walking?!!!! Oh my goodness! Jace is going to be the one catching up to her :-) Little princess! Can't wait to see the two of them hanging out together and running after each other :-) What an experience the two of you are sharing together!
ReplyDeleteSo happy to read this Janine! Can't wait till you get back and I get to hear all about it. Safe travels!!!
ReplyDelete