Ordinary Hero~ A day in the trash dump in Ethiopia from Kelly Putty on Vimeo.
God planted the seeds, our eyes and hearts were open and we're taking that leap of faith into unknown territory where only God Himself can be revealed. Proverbs 24:12 tell us: "Once our eyes are opened, we can't pretend we don't know what to do. God weighs our hearts and keeps our souls, knows that we know and holds us responsible." So with much joy, we welcome you on our journey to bring home a baby girl from Ethiopia!
Thursday, August 12, 2010
The Hole in our Gospel
Yes, this is yet another book that I had been hearing more and more about. Our pastor has mentioned it several times, our bible study started a "book discussion" on it, and friends have talked about it. So what did I do being the avid reader I am? I bought it for Luke to read! Well, he started it and left it on the plane. I guess if you're going to leave something behind, this was a good thing. Then, I bought him another copy and he lost it. So finally, I decided to read it myself. And boy did I read it....the entire thing in one afternoon. Yep, I couldn't put it down. It touched my heart so deep that when I finished all I could think was "Yes, Lord! I want that life!" He talks about many things that have resounded with my soul for many years, so it was refreshing to see it presented in such a profound way. I will admit, this whole surrendering my life to be of God's service is a constant struggle for me. Even in between the breaks of reading the book, I would find myself dreaming of buying a cottage on the lake someday or having a new boat. Pretty sad as I was just made aware how much the rest of the world struggles just for their daily necessities, while we sit there and plan for luxury. It really started to provoke my thinking. What does it really mean to live for the kingdom? What does it mean to not live for the things of this world? What would it be like if all of us came together and embraced the "whole gospel"? Accepting the gift of salvation AND living out that faith by meeting the needs of the poor, orphaned, widows, etc. Do I really live and believe this stuff? What if God intended our extras to be used for others rather than luxury for ourselves? What if God provided JUST ENOUGH for us that and he wanted us to be changed in the process of helping the poor instead of keeping the extra for ourselves? Essentially, God has provided a way for those who suffer to suffer no more, but it requires His people to open their hearts to be used as a vessel to meet their needs. Do you know that collectively the body of Christ could end all of the poverty in this world if everyone just did "something"? For us, the magnitude of suffering has seemed so overwhelming. So much so that we often ask ourselves "how do we even begin to fix this?" So instead we do nothing. But, this book has challenged us to start somewhere, even if it is a babystep. I feel in a way this adoption is our "babystep". And selfishly, we'll be given a daughter to love in return(-: As much as I hate to feel that struggle between what my heart wants to do and what I know is right.. I like it too...it just shows me that God isn't finished with me yet, that I have a long way to go, and if he can use and change me, he can change and use anyone! I wanted to pass along this video I ran across the other day that a friend had posted on her adoption blog. Maybe this is yet another "babystep". I have a feeling it's going to be contagious(-:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment