Yesterday I was quite shocked to get a paper document from the Dept of Homeland Security acknowledging that they received our paperwork and request for orphan approval. I was told it would be a min. of 2-3 weeks before I got this and it was 9 days. But before we get too excited, this is only a notification stating they received it. It will be another 2-3 weeks before we get an appt for fingerprinting and another 2-3 weeks before our actual approval comes in the mail. However, our agency informed us to write our check out for the wrong amt, so that could delay us a few more weeks. But, the good news is that it's there and in the midst of being processed.
On the dossier front, I spent a day this week running around getting bloodwork done, local police clearances, passport photos, letters typed, etc. On Monday, we will have it all notarized and most all dossier items checked off our list! I remember the day I received the dossier packet and how overwhelming it felt. But slowly we've been chipping away at it and it's hard to believe that info is almost all gathered! Once we receive our approval from USCIS, we can throw it in with our dossier paperwork, get it all sealed and sent off right away.(of course there are many small steps in between there, but who cares about the details, right? haha)
Today we also received some more news.......get this......I told you a few weeks ago that our agency signed on with a new orphanage. Well today we received word that they have added 2 more! AAI is now working with 5 orphanages throughout Addis & Awassa. There are at least two other agencies working with these same ones as well, but the referral list is being knocked down as I write this. They are very careful about the timeframes they give people in waiting(they don't want to open the door to any false hope-especially when it involves a child)but I was actually told this week that our initial approx. 10-12 month wait (once our dossier is submitted) will probably be shorter. AAHHH! I sat there and thought about this after she told me and my heart started to race and all sort of thoughts ran through my mind. She actually may be born right around now-what if she's being abandoned today? What if she's starving right now? What if medical complications are beginning to set in? What if her needs aren't being met? What if her mother's needs aren't being met? But Becket is still a baby- I thought he'd be at least 2 1/2. Where will she sleep if it is earlier than we expected? We still have lots of research and reading to do, there is no way we'd be prepared in 6-8 months! AND THEN IT HIT ME...this is only a glimpse into our adoption story. And like many that have come before us, it really is a ride. And for Missy Planner over here, it offers up so many lessons.
1) We need to "pray without ceasing" for our little girl (and all the orphans for that matter)-PLEASE join us in this!
2)Our "perfect plan" is not always His.
3)This thing called adoption demands that we constantly release ourselves and place our complete and utter trust in Him!
Sure, part of it stresses me out, but if I'm outright honest, I have butterflies just thinking about it.
No comments:
Post a Comment